Conjoined twins born with one body moved to one of India's top hospitals


The 3-day-old twins of Urmila and Subhash Sharma have also have two necks, two spines and two separate esophagi and trachea, but between them have only one heart and stomach, while each has a lung. Doctors at their hospital are reaching out to others around the world to see what can be done to separate — and save — the newborns.

The conjoined twins born with one body and two heads have been moved to one of India’s top hospitals for further examination, but the mother has yet to meet her children.

The 3-day-old babies are now being treated at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital (AIIMS), in Delhi.

But the parents, Urmila and Subhash Sharma, are still recovering at Cygnus J.K. Hindu Hospital in Sonipat and are slowly coming to terms with the birth of such remarkable babies.

Dr. Shikha Malik, who delivered the babies and is helping the family, said the newborns have two heads, two necks, two spines and two separate esophagi and trachea, but they have only one heart and stomach and one lung each.

She added that most of their vital organs are shared. And while one baby is sleeping, one is crying, but the right-hand side of the body so far is growing much stronger.

"So far they are doing remarkably well. It is a gift that they have come this far. We can only pray that there is a future for them,” Malik said. “We are trying all we can to help them and we’re speaking to experts from all over the world to see if there’s any chance of surgery. But it is looking unlikely at the moment."

The babies’ father, Subhash, 32, who works as a laborer in a bicycle factory, said he is pinning all his hopes on the doctors, but his priority is the health of his wife.

"When my wife started to feel pain in her stomach we rushed to see a doctor. When we came to know about them there were no words, there was no way out, we were very shocked. It was all in God’s hands," he said.

"I’m their father so I’ll do whatever I can for them. Whatever I’m earning will go towards my children. Just as I’ve cared for my daughter I will care for these babies, too, but the future will depend on the doctors. I’m a poor man and I will do my best for my family. Right now I am also worried about my wife. I can only hope the doctors will be able to help us."




Previous
Next Post »